Thursday, July 12, 2012

Crackers - yes, CRACKERS - 8g carbs

I was craving something crunchy today, to go with the bruschetta I bought at Trader Joes this past weekend.  Since the celery I bought for the hummus just wasn't going to cut it, it was back to the drawing board for me. 



After reviewing a few recipes for gluten-free crackers, here's what I put together:

1 C almond meal (the fine, white kind) - total 24 carbs *
1/2 C almond meal (the brown kind with skin) - total 4 carbs *
1/4 egg substitute (or 1 egg)
1 tsp oil (optional)
1 tbsp melted butter
Salt (I used about 1/4 tsp)
Honey (I used about 1/2 tsp) - 3g

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all of the ingredients together well.

If I had parchment paper, I would have been using that, but alas, I was fresh out - so aluminum foil it was! Plop the mixture on top of the aluminum foil, and place a piece of syran wrap over top - as large as the pan.  This is to assist in the rolling process. Using a rolling pin (OR a wine bottle, if you don't have a rolling pin), roll the dough out until it is nice and thin.  The thinner the better, but also the less time it will need to cook - so keep your eyes on it!

Peel the syran wrap off, and use a pizza cutter to cut the size & shape of crackers you prefer.

Last, bake the dough in the oven for 7-9 minutes.  Keep an eye on it after 7 - but keep it in until they start to turn a golden brown. Let them cool, and remove them from the parchment/foil, and voila ~ low carb crackers!!



This recipe should make enough for 4 servings of crackers. Mine were about the size (and taste) of wheat thins, and had a total of 8 carbs per serving.  The bruschetta seen above has 3g per serving, so together it makes a nice low carb snack!

*note the 2 different almond meals - one is finer, but has more carbs, hence my mixture of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment