Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Almond Tea Cake - 4g



I found an amazing low carb blogger, All Day I Dream About Food, and I attempted to make the almond tea cake she was ranting and raving about.

As usual, I made my own tweaks and substitutions, primarily based on what I had in my kitchen, and also at an attempt to keep things as low carb as possible! Mine was a little on the dry side, so to counter act that, I would suggest using another tablespoon or so of butter.  I think I might also try adding zucchini next time!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C Almond flour/meal (I used half almond flour, half meal)
          *For a more cake-like consistency, use all almond flour. For a lower carb count, sub the almond meal
1/2 C Whey protein powder (natural flavor) - mine had less than 2g carbs for a 1/2 C
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt


6 Tbsp butter - room temperature
1/2 C Splenda
2 eggs
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 C almond/coconut milk - unsweetened

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, whey protein, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Blend the room temperature butter in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add your splenda, and beat for about 1-2 minutes.  Add 1 egg at a time, thoroughly mixing. Lastly, add your almond extract.

Next, slowly start adding in the dry ingredients. Once you are about half way through your dry ingredients, add the milk.  Finish with the rest of the dry, and mix well.

In a bread pan, line the sides with butter.  If you happen to have sliced almonds around, the original blog suggested sticking these to the butter on the pan, so they get baked into the outside of the bread.  Unfortunately, I did not have any of these, so I just had to go with butter.  Add your batter and smooth evenly throughout the pan.

Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick through the center comes out clean.

Cut into 12 slices. Enjoy with tea, or coffee, or a nice glass of almond milk!

2 comments:

  1. how many net carbs it this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done the exact math, but I think it would be closer to 2?

      Delete