Saturday, August 25, 2012

Homemade Saturday Morning Waffles - 1g

Nothing says Saturday (or Sunday) morning like homemade waffles or pancakes...

As I was devouring these waffles this morning, it dawned on me that the reason they call them "Eggo Waffles" is probably due to their high egg content!  These tasted enough like eggo waffles to me, but with a slightly egg-ier consistency.  If you wanted to counteract that, I might add some almond flour next time (but that will up the carb & calorie count). I thought they were fabulous for virtually carb-free waffles! Makes 2 large waffles (1 carb/waffle)

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
1 egg
1/8 tsp cream of tartar 
2 Tbsp almond/coconut milk blend - unsweetened (or just regular unsweetened almond milk)
3 Tbsp whey protein powder (mine has less than 1 carb in 1/4 cup - watch that if you're counting carbs)
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 packets of splenda
1 tsp melted butter/smart balance (optional)

Set your waffle iron to the highest setting (400 degrees or so?)

Beat the 2 egg whites and the cream of tartar until stiff. Set aside.

Mix the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Fold/mix into the egg whites - this will produce a pretty runny batter.
Spray or grease your waffle iron.

Pour in batter and close for 5 minutes.

Take out and top with your favorite toppings (I chose Smart Balance butter and a sugar free syrup)! 

What a perfect Saturday/Sunday morning treat... 




The total calorie content per waffle is 95, and 1 carb.

2 comments:

  1. Totally can't wait to try these! My husband and I are dieting Atkins style and we didn't know how deep our carb addiction ran! Holy Mackerel! Love your blog and Thanks all the way from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'm mentioned in a lot of other posts, what helped me find success on this diet was recreating my old favorites... without the majority of these recipes, I'm sure I would have fallen off the band wagon - instead of seeing 20-25 pounds fall of! :) I'm so glad you have found some recipes that speak to you and your husband, too! I haven't posted in a while - but your comment is inspiration enough to get back into it! Thanks!

      Delete