Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Best 'Bread' Ever - less than 1g

I was skeptical.

Very skeptical...

I had read a few different recipes & posts about 'Cloud Bread' or 'Oopsie Bread', and I couldn't help but try it.  Coming in at a grand total of 3 (or 4) ingredients, there wasn't a whole lot stopping me.



The bread has a toast like consistency when it comes out of the oven, but if you store it in a partially opened ziploc bag in the refrigerator, it becomes more soft - and resembles a thin hamburger bun! I can promise that I will be using this recipe a lot to make a whole host of other things. This just opens up so many new doors in the low-carb world!

So here it is:

Ingredients:
3 eggs - carefully separated
1/8 tsp cream tartar
3 oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 fat & it was just fine)
*Optional sprinkle/packet of splenda

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar (an extra sprinkle won't hurt) for about 2 minutes, or until stiff peaks form like so:
*be careful not to allow any of the yolk to touch the egg whites prior to beating.

Next, beat the yolks & cream cheese together in a separate bowl. Use chilled cream cheese - it doesn't need to be room temperature. Another blog I read said that this was important, but I'm not sure what effect it would have on your bread...

Finally, add the yolk mixture to the egg whites, and 'fold' in with a spatula. I just swirled it throughout - making sure the batter was a uniform color, but careful not to mix/blend too much for fear the egg whites would lose their stiffness. 

Using a baking pan lined with parchment paper, scoop the batter onto the pan, and flatten out the top a bit (it will pretty much bake the same way you plop the blob of batter on the pan).

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or so (keep an eye after 25 - one of my batches got a little dark, but still taste just fine!).


*Someone else's blog said you can freeze this bread. I have attempted to do so, but haven't thawed it out yet, so I'm not sure how it will work. 

When using the bread after it's been refrigerated, I'd suggest you let it set out and get to room temperature for a few minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Made this tonight - will let it sit in the fridge until tomorrow - so excited to have something to "carry" things. The pizza is a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also make this with yogurt..thats what I do. healthier than cream cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they are just as fluffy!? Who knew - I will definitely try that next time - thanks!

      Delete