Monday, August 13, 2012

Pizza. Plain & Simple & 3g per pizza!




As the blog implies, I am on a quest to recreate old favorites, but with a carb-less flare & better for you, to boot!

With this NEW way to make pizza, it's just as deceptive as the original.

You can pick it up with 2 hands.

You can top it with your typical toppings (watch out with your tomato sauce, as it can be riddled with sugars) and most importantly, unlike its counterpart, Cauliflower Pizza, it isn't made using any vegetables! Which, in turn, means no crinkling of noses as you're reheating your leftovers in the office break room...

How did I do it, you're asking? For starters, I began with the Best 'Bread' Recipe, and I added to the mix:
~DOUGH~


Ingredients:
Best Bread Recipe
Dried rosemary (imitating a rosemary focaccia)
Dried oregano
Dried basil
Garlic Powder

I mixed these dry ingredients in at the end - and to your liking. I probably used anywhere between a 1/2 tsp and 1 tsp of each, but you may prefer more or less. Start with whatever you're comfortable with.

Next, scoop the batter onto your parchment lined pan and smooth it out to about 1/2 - 1/4 inch thick. Mine was about 5 inches in diameter, but you could do more or less depending on how large you want your pizzas.

Bake them in a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until they start to get a golden brown color on top.  Remove the pan from the oven and add your toppings. For my sauce (and this is important, so you don't overload your carbs here):

~SAUCE~


Ingredients:
1/4 C Hunts Oregano & Basil Tomato Sauce (check your carb count - you don't want more than 4g in a serving!)
1/4 tsp splenda

This should be more than enough for 2 pizzas - at 5 inches in diameter. This gives you 2g carbs per pizza.

I also used pesto as a base for one of my pizzas, and it turned out delicious.  Follow the recipe for pesto here:

Ingredients:
Pesto recipe
(I didn't use the pecans in this one!)

*Again, watch any store bought pesto if that is your preference - a few I was looking at today had up to 8g carbs per serving! This handy dandy recipe has no more than 1 per serving... And you can freeze your leftovers!

~TOPPINGS~



When it comes to choosing your cheese, I tried both the bagged shredded italian blend and fresh mozzarella. The fresh mozzarella has 0 carbs, the bagged has 1; however, the fresh has more liquid and therefore made for a slightly soggy crust... I still thought it tasted delicious.

I included a little red onion on my fresh mozzarella & pesto pizza.

Once you've added your toppings, bake for another 5 minutes, and broil for 1.  Let cool a little, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment