Monday, June 11, 2012

It starts with a change!

It starts with a change.  If you are gaining weight, unhappy with your weight, or stagnant, I hate to break it to you but... you're doing something wrong.

"I'm not doing something wrong, I'm just eating what I want, when I want it. Why should I have to deny myself that?"

Because the things you have introduced your tongue, mouth, mind and body to - those things you think you're craving? Yeah, most of the time, they happen to be things that our body is not supposed to be consuming.

Ice cream filled with preservatives, food coloring, and a cup full of sugar? Really?

Dairy products that originally come from a cow with the sole purpose of taking a 100 lbs calf to a 2,000 lbs animal. (Yes, I'm guilty of using cheese, but I intend to begin weaning myself off sometime soon...)

Pasta - made of flour (very little, if NO nutritional value) and water? Maybe part of an egg if you're lucky, but let's not forget the preservatives in there, too.


I read an article the other day about grains, and took away two very interesting points that I have been focusing on as of late:

1) Grain was not meant to be ingested by the human body. Plants and insects use defense mechanisms -and grain's defense mechanism is to go right through your system. Unless it is broken down & 'refined', our body gets very little nutritional value from its pass through our digestive track.

2) Grains are very cheap to mass produce, and high in caloric content, therefore are the diet of choice for poor countries and starving children. My guess is that probably doesn't include you. Sure, the majority of us have been a little down on our luck before, scraping by, buying cheap, but where is that getting you in the long run? A visit to the doctors? A higher number on the scale? Diabetes? Heart disease? None of these happen to be tourist destinations on my map of life... I will do my best to cut corners elsewhere, and steer clear of these tragic dead ends. No pun intended.

Am I saying that I will never again consume a bowl of ice cream? No. Am I implying that a piece of bread, noodle or grain of rice will never again enter my digestive track? Hardly.

But what I am saying is that it takes a change. A change in the way you think. A change in the way you buy. A change in the way you read labels. A change in the way you enjoy your food. A change in the way you prepare/serve your food. To summarize, a change!

A wise man once said:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

~ Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment